Getting Ready for June 20th
June 9, 2019
PUBLIC TRANSIT FACTS #1
An informed discussion on June 20th about public transit in Winston-Salem and Forsyth County might want to start with a few basic facts:
- No big-city public transit systems pays for itself through fares. That includes Winston-Salem.
- It costs a lot of money to run a public transit system. Estimates are that it is a $55 billion industry and the greatest cost is salaries and wages. That includes Winston-Salem.
- Bus/Subway ridership nationwide grew by 34% between 1995 and 2009. More and more people living close to downtown prefer to take public transit rather than pay for parking.
- This growth in public rider transportation outpaced private vehicular travel, which grew only 23% in the same period.
- This trend in the use of public transportation is expected to keep growing. Winston-Salem fixed route ridership grew 1.8% between 2004 and 2015.
…more as we move toward the June 20th forum.